Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Patient. Not like, "I'm in the hospital"... but more like "should I do ground shipping or next day delivery"

So I've decided to start this journey with something I wrote about a year ago. I wasn't sure how to start writing, or what to even write about. But then a great friend of mine reminded me of some things I've written in the past...

Something I've always struggled with is being patient. I've always been an instant gratification kind of person. As soon as I decide I want something, I go for it with a "have to have it" attitude. I don't like to wait for anything. The problem is, life doesn't really work that way. God definitely doesn't work that way. About a year ago I started to really focus in on what it meant to be patient. I found a peace in searching for what it really meant to have a spirit of patience. So I'm going to share something I wrote in January of last year...

They say patience is a virtue. And I do believe that. But a lot of times patience gets misunderstood. There's always times when patience turns into waiting, and waiting turns into missing chances, missing people and sunrises, and walks in the park, and puddles in the sidewalk and laughs with true friends. People hear "be patient" and think that they have to sit and wait to get the reward they want, the prize they've been drooling over, or the lifestyle they've always wanted. But being patient means sitting still for a second. It means opening your eyes. Because maybe what you think you want is all wrong. Maybe you're waiting on something that you shouldn't be waiting for. Maybe he's not the guy, and she's not the friend you need, or it's not the job that's best for you. They all may not be right for you. And not because you don't deserve everything you've ever wanted, but because your imagination is nowhere near close enough to think up the amazing things you actually deserve. Patience means looking forward, and moving forward, even if it's without what you think you need. It doesn't mean stopping and waiting. It means waking up every day and trusting that God will provide and that timing isn't your choice, it's His. And He is always perfect. So be patient... haven't you heard, it's a virtue.

So, as I continue on with this crazy life of mine, I hope to be a living example of what it means to truly be patient in the Lord.

AND can I just say... It's hard being 20. No one ever tells you how to be 2o something. It's all about either being 15 or being 40. I have no idea what to expect. When I was 10, I knew what was going to happen for the next 7 or 8 years of my life, and I know what to expect when I'm old and married, but this 20 something age sure is confusing...eh, what can ya do.

No comments:

Post a Comment